Westside Pty Ltd is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and other relevant laws about how private health service providers handle personal information.
We are committed to complying with all applicable privacy laws which govern how Westside Pty Ltd collects, uses, discloses and stores your personal information.
Westside Pty Ltd will collect your personal information for the purpose of providing you with health care and for directly related purposes. For example, Westside Pty Ltd may collect, use or disclose personal information:
- For use by a multidisciplinary treating team;
- To liaise with health professionals, Medicare or your health fund;
- In an emergency where your life is at risk and you cannot consent;
- For the education of health care workers;
- To maintain medical records as required under our policies and by law; or
- For other purposes required or permitted by law.
Personal information may be shared between Westside Pty Ltd facilities to coordinate your care. We also outsource some of our services. This may involve us sharing your personal information with third parties. For example, we outsource the conduct of our patient satisfaction surveys to a contractor who may write to you seeking feedback about your experience with Westside Hearing & Balance Clinic.
We may outsource information and data storage services (including archiving of medical records), which may involve storing that information outside of Australia. Where we outsource our services we take reasonable steps in the circumstances to ensure that third parties, including organisations outside of Australia, have obligations under their contracts with Westside Pty Ltd to comply with all laws relating to the privacy (including security) and confidentiality of your personal information.
Westside Pty Ltd will usually collect your personal information directly from you, but sometimes may need to collect it from someone else (for example, a relative or another health service provider). We will only do this if you have consented or where your life is at risk and we need to provide emergency treatment.
We will not use or disclose your personal information to any other persons or organisations for any other purpose unless:
- You have consented;
- The use or disclosure is for a purpose directly related to providing you with health care and you would expect us to use or disclose your personal information in this way;
- We have told you that we will disclose your personal information to other organisations or persons; or
- We are permitted or required to do so by law.
You have the right to access your personal information in your health record. You can also request an amendment to your health record should you believe that it contains inaccurate information.